Saturday, May 31, 2008

Down to exactly 1 month

I'm down to exactly one month (30 days) until my PAO at Duke. Nervous doesn't begin to describe how I'm feeling. I'm struggling with the concept of loss of independence. I'm busy trying to get the house ready. I just purchased my "hip kit" and shower transfer bench. It's starting to sink in now. I was doing okay when I was preparing for my trip to Disney world. I was so looking forward to the trip and the whole time I was down there I was totally relaxed and not worried. I didn't even get a wheelchair!!! I've come back from Disney world and now I'm a nervous wreck. The doctor gave me some Valium, but I haven't taken any. I guess tonight will be a good night to take something. I wish that it was sooner so I could go ahead and get it over with. I hate stewing over it. I guess I've made it one month already, I can make it another month. My trip helped my mental state so much it's ridiculous. I wish I could take another trip after the surgery to relax me again. I'm going to add pictures to my albums soon so check out my pre-PAO trip to Disney world. Me and my family went on a fireworks cruise at Disney and he asked were we celebrating any special occasion and I told him yes, pre-hip surgery!!! I'm hurting really bad today. I didn't know that sitting in a movie theater for 2 1/2 hours would make it hurt, but I guess the angle is what killed me. I'm going to go finish dinner now. I hope all you fellow PAOers are doing well.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Brenna,
I'm glad your Disney World trip was relaxing for you. I wish I could make the time go by quicker for you! It's SO hard waiting.
Sometimes, when my mind and emotions were so stressed, I would play some of my favorite music really loud and sing, sing, sing, to drown out my thoughts.
Maybe give that a try. Take care of yourself!
Cassie

Rachel said...

Brenna,
I'm having my PAO on September 26th, here in Atlanta.

I'm sure I will feel more anxious as the time goes by..especially with a month to go!

Be sure to check out all of the other PAO Hip Chick blogs...it really is a source of strength. Most of them had all of the same feelings as you prior to surgery, but their recovery has been a wonderful thing to read...and very inspiring!..

Take it easy and good luck for the next month...I'll be reading and waiting for you to turn the corner in your recovery, which all of the other lasses have done :)

-Rachel