Sunday, June 29, 2008

Work Situation

Okay so here is the whole work situation so I don't have to put it off anymore.

I work in a small cardiology office. We have 4 doctors with about 20 staff. I am a RN for one of the doctors who is really cool, but anyways. I approach the administrators on April 11th, the day after I find out I have to have my RPAO. They ask for me to put off my surgery til July due to the fact that one of the doctors would be leaving for maternity leave in July for 3 months and they would pull her nurse to my desk until I come back. Well ok! Not so bad sounding until I go in and tell them my day is scheduled for July 1st and I'll be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks, but my OS stated I could go back on light duty on 8 weeks. Well, they then sit down and tell me the following:
1. I have to file for short term disability which is only 72 days and weekends ARE INCLUDED!!!!
2. Well now they don't think that the doctor leaving for maternity leave is coming back and another doctor is retiring on Sept. 30th. The trick with this is, there will be too many nurses, so if I reach day 73 I'm technically terminated and then rehired, but since there won't be two doctors there, they will not rehire anyone and let someone go. So in other words, I have 72 days to heal.........PERIOD!!!!!

Is that screwed up or what????? Anyways. I decided to keep my date of July 1st. I've been progressing worse with the pain and in the last two weeks have complained in passing that I didn't sleep good or that I hurt. I've gotten the following comments from ADMINISTRATION.....
1. You can sleep in a couple of weeks all you want, so don't complain now.
2. Why are you so worried about this?
3. Quit being silly.
4. Why aren't you just doing your pre-op here (I took 1 hour of vacation to leave for my appointment)

Well it sucks. I would love to go back at 8 weeks, but they have point blank said they don't want me back unless I can do my job. I didn't get tomorrow off due to the fact that another nurse has been out for a hysterectomy and the lead nurse (which is a joke) is taking her about 12th day off this month and refused to switch!!!!!!! I have to work until 5:30 tomorrow and then drive 30 min. home.

I don't think it would be that bad if they were supportive, but I told the NP about this on Friday and she couldn't believe it and said due to my state of mind that I don't really need to work the whole day. I'm thinking about putting a block on my room so no one can call in and restricting visitors. I don't know yet. My husband is pretty upset so he might fly off the handle anyway. I just don't understand how unsupportive they are.

1 comment:

Tiff-dysplasia said...

I am having a LPAO on September 24th and I have a few friends are acting similar to your co-workers and I have to keep telling myself that I am handling this situation the best way that I know how I cannot change the way they feel about how I am handling having a MAJOR surgery a month away. Your blog has helped me see what I have in store and for that I am thankful

Thank you
tiffany