Thursday, July 24, 2008

Emotional/Physical Rollercoaster

I didn't know the recovery was the hardest part of this PAO experience. Everyday is an emotional & physical roller coaster. I feel okay in the mornings and get brave to start doing things. By evening, my left hip (normal side) hurts, my operative leg (Right leg) hurts and I have to debate whether to take pain meds or a sleeping pill. I want to sleep in my bed, but how can I when I can't even lay all the way back in the recliner (and it's not a 0 degree angle). I feel optimistic in the mornings and by the night, I'm usually crying because I realize I still can't turn on my left side and can't lift my right leg up like normal. I get frustrated with the walker, but I'm still on 30lbs wt. bearing and crutches aren't sturdy enough. I've read books, played on my computer, watched several Food Network marathons and am miserable by 7pm. I just want this whole thing to be over. I know that the Lord doesn't give us stuff we can't handle, but this is truly a test. I wonder if everyone else feels this way or is just me. I'm so ready to be back to semi-normal. I'm taking Coumadin now to keep the DVTs at bay and I'm averaging getting my blood drawn every 3rd or 4th day and that's tiring. It's just hard right now. I'm currently 23 days post op and feel like everything is moving in slow motion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenna
If you would like to talk on the phone either email me your phone number or alternatively if you e-mail me I would be happy to give you my number. It sounds like you need to talk (live) to someone who has been through this. So I am here if you need me.
Lauren

MY PAO STORY said...

Brenna,
Your recovery will take time - but it WILL get better! Everyone heals differently. I know My doc (Dr Millis) told me at one point to "slow down because I am not a teeny-boppber anymore!". Even though I am 33 - I guess I do sometimes feel like a "teeny-bopper"! Your "good" hip may hurt because it is taking most of the weight. My "good" hip hurt a lot in the beginning of my recovery - but does not bother me anymore and I have not even discussed PAO on that hip yet. Just think about all the things you CAN do that you couldn't do last week or 2 days ago. You're getting there!!
Beth

Cassie said...

Hi Brenna,
I know my recovery went very smoothly and that I can act pretty tough sometimes, but guess what ... there were a couple of mornings when I woke up (well, you really can't wake up if you never fell asleep) but when I got up and just started to cry. From lack of sleep, from being stuck in one position all night, from a feeling of helplessness.
It will get better. It will. One moment, one day at a time. Hang in there.
Cassie