Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm trying to think what has happened since my last entry. . . . . . . .

Going Out of the House.........Well, I had another outing to a cookout at my grandparents house/pool. I stayed about 1 1/2 hours. Can't tolerate being uncomfortable but for so long. It was so nice to get out. That was exactly a week ago. Since then I went back to Duke for my post-op appointment and went to the Olive Garden to eat and sat in a normal chair for about 1 hour. I also can now sit in my front porch swing and have sat out there about 2 hours total over the last 2 days.

Showering...........I have managed to start showering. They initially told me it was going to be 14 days, but I called begging and got in the shower about 5 days sooner. It was nice. First shower I had to have a lot of help. Second shower just a little help, and then yesterday I did it all on my own (except shave from my op leg) . Things seem to be moving a little faster.

Constipation..................DO NOT take Oxycontin without Colace on board. I was going regularly until I started taking my Oxycontin for about a week and then I was MISERABLE. There is no words to express how bad that feeling is. It's way worse than the surgery itself. I even went so far as to send my husband to the pharmacy for enema supplies. Didn't have to, but they are in my post-hip emergency kit. Now that I'm on Colace everyday and I feel much better, not to mention that I stopped the Oxycontin. The pain wasn't bad enough to warrant taking it and having the other issue.

Pain.............Pain isn't so bad now. I take about one Oxycodone (5mg) in 24 hours and nothing else for pain and I do okay. That's down from 2-3 Oxycodone every 4 hours and 1 Oxycontin every 12 hours the first week I was home and I'm 3 weeks post op. The only complaint I have is muscle like spasms/stretching. It feels like the nerves might be reaching certain areas of the muscles that haven't been stretched yet and stretching them is like they are stuck and it hurts, but I deal with it.

Sleep............until my post op appointment this past Friday, sleep was something I didn't ever think I'd do again. I've still been sleeping in the recliner. The bed is still just to flat for me. I can get in the bed ok, but the lying flat for so many hours is the issue. I was sleeping maybe, if I was lucky, 3-4 hours in 24 hours. It was miserable. I went to the post op appointment and was given Ambien 5 mg. I have taken it 2 nights now and slept about 8-10 hours a night without the ankle numbing, back hurting that was keeping me awake. It's been wonderful for my mindset. I actually want to get up and do something in the mornings.

Mindset............feel better and keep dreaming that I just have a limp and can walk normal. Well...........not quite. I'm still on 30lbs wt. bearing which isn't anything more than putting my foot down on the floor completely. I walk faster and am still on my walker. Not a fan of crutches. I do however feel more comfortable standing without the walker. I can stand and blow dry my hair and get real hugs from my husband now. I'm getting more confident. I am just so completely bored!!!! TV is okay for a few hours.........reading gets me sleepy and I can only play on my computer for so long a day. I have started getting up to do little things, like switching the laundry and loading and starting the dishwasher. Stuff like that keeps me going more than reading all the books in the world. I manage to pass the time and get through each day hoping that I can do more and more each day. It'll get here...........I'm just ready for it.....NOW!

2 comments:

Acy said...

Love reading your blog! Hoping you have a very quick recovery. I'm so glad to know what I'm in for when I finally get the PAO done. Definitely will remember the combo of drugs NOT to do..who needs more pain on top of a surgery?! Have a good day!

-J. Acy David(fellow hipwoman)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your progress. Every little step forward is a big deal and don't let yourself take away from it. I know at times it is hard and we tend to be impatient with ourselves but really think about what you have put your body through and be good to yourself. The funny thing is before you know it you'll be looking back thinking how long ago this all seemed and how great you feel now. Time moves quicker than you think. So before you know it you'll be walking without a walker and before you know it it will be 6 months post surgery. So hang in there. It sounds like you're on the right path to recovery.
Lauren