Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's the small stuff

It's the small stuff that I can do each day that I stuff in my little pocket of accomplishments.
Today I went to Wal-Mart..........first store in one month. Rode the scooter around (realized that people don't really consider a young person with no obvious disability on a scooter a necessity to move out of the way)
I put my socks on with assistance from my grabber for the first time today too. Can put my shoes on if they are tied already.
Can shower alone.
Can shave my legs while sitting on my shower bench.
I only take one pain pill at night to help with slight pain and sleep.
I'm proud of myself for the small stuff. I never thought I would be so proud of leaning to shave my legs. People don't realize how fortunate they are to walk. Walking is a great blessing that we should all thank God for. I know I'm stared at when I'm on my walker and I stare just as hard back because I'm jealous they can walk with ease.
My fellow co-workers are chomping at the bit to get me back, but I can't until at least 2 weeks of PT after I can bear more weight. If I'd quit being lazy and reading and watching tv I need to call my physical therapist at Duke to try and get me on some crutches. I would love to have a little more freedom during the day and then go back to the walker at night when I wear down. Can't wait to see what small things I can accomplish in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brenna,
Those "little" things certainly are worth being proud of and, after a PAO, aren't really so "little" at all!!!
Sounds like you are moving along well. I see you had Dr. Olson at Duke for a reverse PAO for the retroversion and dysplasia and tears? Did he mention the retroverted acetabulum causing pincer impingement? How do you like Dr. O? Did you still have to pay that $2100 out of pocket at the beginning, or did your insurance cover it all?
Feel free to email me back at superhipchick72@yahoo.com or leave a post back at congenitallychallenged.wordpress.com
Best Wishes~
SHC